Thursday, April 10, 2008

Toddler class update #01


Change is inevitable.
That i'm sure we all know. But what we didn't realise was that no one escapes it.
About a week and a half ago, Nate started his "move" out from the infant section to the Toddler section at his childcare center. Untill now, he's still adjusting.
Apprently the gangster in Nate doesn't really exist. I thought he would be the kid who wouldn't really be able to tell the difference and just continue turning the place upside down; wherever his was. He however, gets very insecure and doesn't really want to play with the other children. Apparently he's the sensitive boy.
He yells and kicks and pulls my shirt when i leave him behind.. It really really breaks my heart.
Furthermore, the chances of him being exposed to illnesses is WAY HIGHER. Having said that, he's now ill from school and on anti-biotics... i hate that..

Now i understand how mothers feel when they send their kids off to school for the first time (think eager parent waiting outside the primary 1 class) Oooo i hope this is practise for me and that i shall have a heart of steel by then. I feel so guilty everytime i leave him behind. I get really really upset about this. I thought i was stronger but this teaches me a lesson. I'm trying to see the good and learn from whatever is happening but it's really not easy.
Be warned, it's easy to laugh at these parents; but when it's your turn, you can't help but feel helpless as well.
One funny thing that happened during this transition, I was told was that nate would want to lie on the diaper changing station, because it was similar to the one in the infant section, and he would buckle himself in and lie there till he fell asleep.
It's hard, this adjustment. And i realised it's more so for me, than for him _ which i find ironic in some sense.
Especially when Nate used to smile and run to class when we arrived at the building.
I don't see that same picture anymore. He seems to hate it and seems almost anti-social.
It's a lot of letting go on my end.
I have to get used to not really knowing what time he poops, sleeps, eats and how much and how often.. I realised that he is growing up and i can never be in total control of the outside situation.
Sometimes i wonder if it's too soon to take him out. I was really battling with that one. But i know that he has to move out sooner or later. So i have decided to bite the bullet and just remind myself that this is just the transition phase. If I had to go to a new office, I would feel really uncomfortable as well. This still, after going through all that adult growing up soul searching thing you go through when you're a teen.
Having said all this, there is no other childcare center that i trust other than the one we're at. I can only pray that God will take care of nate, and help me to let go and let Him take control. I hope Nate sees the fun in being in an older childrens' class soon.

I hope I will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maye-E, Hugs! At their current age, they get pretty used to routine and familiar things, and once some thing is unfamiliar, they tend to act up. That's why sometimes they get upset when they see a new face, or they just want a certain toy. That being said, they adjust pretty quickly as well. So just give it sometime.

I cried when my elder son had to go to school for the first time. He just waved happily, kissed me and went in the class while I was furiously wiping away tears at the door.

Manic Mummy said...

hello maye-e, hope nate's settling in. it takes a while, but kids are resilient and they get over it. juju pulls a long face when he goes to school some days, and then when i come back, he refuses to leave. or he wakes up on the right side of bed and goes to school happily and willingly.

i think he's a little more needy lately, always wanting to be carried. so i just make it up by carrying him more often and smooching him silly when he's at home. and i always tell him before i drop him off that i will ALWAYS come back.

good luck!