Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Growing up in Singapore #1

with a chinese tourist, Nate's expression is hilarious

Diapers are allowed


Ever since i met up with lou lou, (thanks for your kind words and dropping me a note), i've been thinking alot about blogging, and writing about nate, and why i started this blog... At first, and until now, it's a sort of visual diary for family members and close friends to keep up with what's going on with Nate. Also a good way for me to keep track of his growth since i spend a lot of time on the computer. I didn't think that I would "meet" people over the internet. This then got me thinking further about bringing some of the posts to another level, and be a little more reflective about it. I guess its interesting to see nate grow_and him growing up in Singapore, which is an often talked about nanny-state which I grew up in, and I would like to think that I didn't turn out that crazy or too sheltered... Perhaps it's my own way of looking back on what I used to do, or should have done and how to go on now, future etc.... Some call it living precariously through my son, I see it more as a reflection. Who lives without any form of regret? Many of us fail to look at the good side of life. I am certainly learning alot through parenting and am appreciating the "I told you so-s" from my own folks. Oh the list goes on.. but let's start with something a little lighter on the taste buds, since i recently took the nate out for a visit to The Marina Barrage...

Our kids are so priviledged.
Living in our city-state where safety isn't an issue, we're sheltered from natural disasters (knock on wood- who knows now with global warming and all), clean sanitation, people that are tolerant of one another despite their different cultures and values.. the list just seems to go on...
We seem to be developing so fast. We boast of a world class transport system, but we're always late for work.. hahha, and we've developed a way to make our own drinking water..... NEWater.
Tastes like any other water to me... I personally enjoy the Marina Barrage a lot. Its architecture is pretty, simple and cool. I love water, the sound of it and the feel of it. Maybe cause its so darn hot here... The view of Singapore's skyline is breath taking as well. Put a two year old in a place like that, you'll have him stripped down to his diaper and posing with tourists in an oasis of sure joy. (: Enjoy some of the snaps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maye-E,

Just wanted to drop a note to say Hi since I've been a voyeur for quite a long while now.

I really enjoy reading your posts and watching Nate grow from 'post to post'! :)

maye said...

Hi there! nice meeting you... Thanks for dropping in to say HI.
Best,
Maye-E

Anonymous said...

Hey Maye-E, great pics as usual! What's the deal with boys and water huh?? I think Kai as bad as Nate during bathtime, I always dread moping up after :(
Lou x

maye said...

Hey lou.. yeah.. water is like magic.. But im glad they like it.. can you imagine trying to make them take a bath? that would be a lot worse.. hope you enjoyed your trip in singapore. you were here a long time.. and once again it was really nice meeting ya. big hugs to Kai.