Saturday, April 04, 2009

Its about Time


It's about time that I started spending more time with Nate and being a better mother to him. I know it may seem like a very basic thing that should come naturally but trust me, it's a lot easier said than done. I'm sure you fellow mommees will agree. For the whole of last week, i decided to use my recovery time (from a big race which i just finished and a sickness which i later got from my mom) to spend more time with Nate. Not that I ignore him completely but Nate was primarily taken care of by my mother. He's very close to her and we all live in the same home. So he would gravitate more towards her. Grandmothers are more forgiving and 'loving'. Yes there are very different types of "us" mothers out there. There is the stay-at-home mom, the working mom and the working+active mom (that's me). All of us have different interests but we still have a common ground which is that we Love our children and they are first priorities. However, it's the striking a balance part which we often struggle with. Some a little more than others but we all struggle with it.


In the begining of my 'try-to-spend-more-time-with-Nate' week, Nate would get very angry at me and throw tantrums when I tried to get him out of bed in the mornings. Or just to change his diapers.... it made him and I very frustrated, read about it here. But all I had to do was to play with him every evening, try to earn his trust and he started to open up. Now we're starting to have a routine. A morning routine and a before bed time routine. He knows what he has to do, and seems comfortable with the pattern. The settling in early also means he sleeps earlier and wakes up a happier boy. Its a cycle which I hope to keep going. Spending more play time with him builds more trust between us as well. I find oppotunities to teach him about keeping promises and honouring them. But that's gonna be in a different blog post altogether. All these things/lesson that i'm talking about when it comes to parenting, relationships seem so basic in theory but yet so complicated when we mix it in what we call 'daily life'. So I guess it's really about time - spent with him, and also time I tried to do something about it.

1 comment:

gLeNiSe said...

Hey hey hey, I certainly agree with you, so glad that Nate is growing closer to his mother!