Sharing is Caring at leat that's what we all learn.
When Nate was a little younger, I panicked when he starting wailing the moment another child came to take his toy in the church's cradle room where toddlers gather to play with toys available in that room. I tried to explain to him that he had to share and that the toy didn't even belong to him. He just continued crying and crying. Louder and louder. I started to feel embarrassed, well, because i'm a strong believer that my child's actions are a true reflection of the kind of upbringing I give him.
Ok. He was just 1 year old or thereabouts.
Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on myself. I think to myself NOW, when he's 2.5 years old. At least I tried and even if he didn't really grasp the concept of sharing because he was only starting to understand the concept of possession, at least I kinda started him getting used to that idea.
Last week, we visited that same room.
And he started to play with a 3D puzzle. Suddenly another boy came around and wanted to start playing with him. I noticed nate's hand gripping the toy tighter and tighter. That's when i intercepted calmly... explained to him that he has to share and that he could play with this side of the toy while the other child played with the other side of the puzzle. Suddenly, his hand started to relax and he let go. He was feeling more secure and was very happy that he could Share. After a while, he told me that he wanted to share with "mama, dada, and poh poh (grandma)" when he went home. Yay. HOMERUN! I thought to myself.
It gets easier when they get older. Kids are kids, and we just have to be a little patient and understanding that they need that time to understand certain concepts that we yet again take for granted.
I feel like i'm going to school all over again. heh heh heh.

No comments:
Post a Comment